…to 4 1/2 years ago when my little guy was first born.
I’d been told by a co-worker to remember the photo session that immediately follows a birth, i.e. when the mom usually looks her worst from said birth. Sweaty, hair a mess, the works…yuck. So I decided that I wanted to look halfway decent in those shots and planned accordingly. I wore one of my trusty bandannas (I’ve got several). And have first baby hospital photos I don’t hate. Though, my little guy still outshines me 😛
I used the color palette from the last ScrapFriends challenge, because it was an awesome palette. I also incorporated the current sketch challenge because among other reasons, I thought the patterned paper (which I’ve been saving *cough* hoarding*cough*) worked great. However, I realized one problem almost immediately. I used gesso with the dots section of my Heidi Swapp stencil. And realized my issue. The patterned paper is not regular cardstock, it’s shiny, as in wasn’t going to soak up anything I put on it. Okay, for adhesive, not for paints/mists, etc. So, what’s a girl to do? I lightly sponged gesso over the whole page. Enough to give it “teeth” but not cover up the beautiful design.
I originally planned to mat the photos on several strips of patterned paper, but wanted to add something to the background. So, I tore longer varied strips of same patterned paper, and mod podged them down to create carrying lengths. Also in line with the sketch, I wanted the white gesso to create a fading effect. So I gessoed over the patterned paper strips, “fading” it to the dots (I made more, hehe), but still showing the beautiful paper strips.
Then I set to work with my photos and embellishments. I made photos mats out of fabric, a few of the small strips, and a chipboard frame and tag (lying around and marked from other projects) The half star is from a stencil used on patterned paper and cut out, edged inked. I added washi tape, TH film strip ribbon and reinforcements, a gear and bottle cap, decorative pin stuck in the bottle cap adhesive, feathers, Amy Tangerine embellishments, buttons, layered butterfly, journaling stickers, as well as a raw chipboard dress form and cardboard piece (which transformed itself into two small circles and a heart) painted yellow. Oh, and that flower next to the butterfly? White tissue paper with run-off from my gold Tattered Angels spray mist. I had tried to use it on other projects and never quite worked. I rolled it up into a small flower and stuck it on!
I used three different alpha sets for my title. The journaling was done in my black Sakura pen. On a whim, after outlining my title letters, I added the border around my journaling, and repeated the pattern in a couple corners of my layout to pull it together.
After I took my photos, I realized I’d forgotten to fix one thing. The “t” in still was originally an “l” because I’d stuck down my title before noticing I had no “t”‘s from that set. I went back with a white gel pen and made the letter a “t”, then grabbed my camera and shot it again (thankfully the light was decent). Whoops!
Thanks for looking and happy scrapping!